Seven siblings... Seven blogs.... over Seven days...

Friday, November 05, 2010

Convictions....& Justin Bieber for Johnny

         I'm supposed to be writing my grocery list this afternoon... but am thinking of everything else I could possibly do other than make the list--and other than dishes. Nix those two, and what is left? Well... I've wasted a few minutes on facebook... watching Craig Ferguson... staring at the snow (yep....SNOW. I know!)... Then I remembered I needed to blog! (Yes, I know it's Friday and Thursday is my day... but Katie blogged yesterday, so I stole today.) Alas.... here I am.

          As Dave previously mentioned, elections were this week. Now, those of you who know me, know I am not one to shy away from sharing my opinions... and I have lots of them. And I'm pretty unapologetic about it, too--besides, I'll listen to your opinion, too! Even if I disagree. Though in the last few years, I have tried to be more graceful and kind about sharing my opinion, and have tried to not share my opinion with people I'm more likely to offend... because my goal really isn't to hurt anyone's feelings, because I don't want to turn anyone off to Jesus. (And I have to admit, the listening to a dissenting opinion is a skill recently acquired :))

             But I digress...back to elections. I used to love to get into conversations with people over politics.... I love to argue politics...politicians... platforms... *ahhh* It makes me happy :) Actually, I just love a good argument. Two people just going back and forth on political issues....*sigh* It takes a real friend (or just a great arguer...) to argue politics and not get offended or want to not be your friend anymore...There's just something about getting your blood flowing...talking fast...using your mind...ya know, fun stuff :) But sorry--that's another tangent (lots of tangents today!! I really do have a point--somewhere).

      So, a few years ago, when I wasn't crazy about a politician or their politics (or really, any leader I wasn't crazy about in general), I would share my not-so-kind opinion about them without any hesitancy. Well, a few years ago (oh, around the time Obama was elected), I found this verse:

Romans 13:1-2" Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves."

            Um....OUCH?? The first part of this verse that kicked me in the behind was the phrase "everyone must submit himself"...Well...it says everyone...so I can't avoid that right off the bat...and must submit himself...to me, that says you CHOOSE to put yourself under their authority... So, this is a choice God is telling us to make. Deep breath. I can do this, right? I mean...humans make mistakes, and politicians, in particular, are elected by people...so I can bedrudgingly obey their laws while hating them and bashing them along the way...

          But here's the thing that really got me and completely changed my thoughts and habits... the Bible verses don't say that God allowed sinful humans to put these authorities into place.... it clearly says GOD ESTABLISHED every authority--and no authority is present that God did not specifically put into place. Another ouch....

         So, how have I changed? Well, I won't always agree with politicians or policies... They may even stand directly against everything I believe in...but I can always agree with God. And I can trust Him. Trust that He has a good reason for establishing each and every leader that is in authority over me--regardless of whether those reasons are clear to me or not.

          Most practically, I can talk respectfully of the leaders that are over me... that I am choosing to submit to...and do it graciously. I think a lot of Christians think that if a leader's beliefs contrast with their own, or they are not a Christian, or are a Democrat, etc., then they are free to speak out against them in any fashion they choose. And sadly, that just isn't true. Sure, we can (respectfully) disagree with their policies and politics, but we can not insult them--regardless.

          It isn't easy for me, especially when a politician pushes for something that makes my blood boil, but it's a matter of discipline and choice--one that I'm reminded of every time the election results come in, and someone I don't like is elected. Now, instead of screaming at the tv (It's like a football game...watching the results come across the screen:)), I can begin praying for them...and it's awfully hard to hate someone you continually pray for.

          So, this week, in the aftermath of the most recent elections, I encourage you all to pay attention to the way you speak (or post on facebook) about our leaders and politicians....and pray for them :) Heap burning ashes on their heads, ya know? ;)
   
           Until next week, then, my friends... I leave you with Justin Bieber....  b/c even though I have never listened to one of his songs all the way through, I am completely in love with the (American?) Music Awards commercial where all of the bikers dance to his song "Baby"....so play on, Biebs...play on. (dedicated to Johnny--feel better quick!!!:))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE-0a6EN2rQ&feature=player_embedded

Ashley

4 comments:

  1. Really like your post Ashley. =D I know this can influence a lot of different peoples actions. I truly enjoyed reading it. WELL DONE! =D - Greta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like submission to authority is met with resistance just about every time we feel that authority upon us. It's just our human immediate push back against that authority. I think it's just another area where we are asked to trust God and his plan. With politics, I often can't see the big picture, and I'm pretty much the same way with God. And that's ok. I just need to trust. Great blog baby. . baby. . baby (I can't believe I just did that, only for you)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, this is not an easy task and it must run in the family to speak our minds.... and not feel remorse... well till later for me! haha. I too have put thought into that and have made some corrections =)
    And... gay or not... I like JB!!! =)

    ReplyDelete