Seven siblings... Seven blogs.... over Seven days...

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Self Discipline

Discipline is a word that simply makes people cringe. When it comes to self discipline, it's something that's lacking often in my life, and one of my main struggles when it comes to my faith.

I have found that when I am disciplined in one area of my life, it carries over to many other, completely unrelated aspects of my life. When I take the time to read my Bible in the morning, I am better about what I eat, I'm more careful with my money, and I'm better with my attitude altogether.

The opposite is also true. When I am undisciplined in any area, it also carries over. I wonder why that is. Why my personality is put together the way that it has been. I guess I am simply one of those people where everything is intertwined together.

Disciplining a child is one of the hardest things I have ever done. On its surface, it's not a crazy concept. But there are so many variables involved, and I'm continuing to learn on the job with Noah. I ask myself questions all the time like "Is this really worth fighting over?" "How big of a deal should I make this?" "What is the proper discipline for this action?" And all of these decisions need to be made in such a split second. Such a quick thought. It's hard. Even harder than self-discipline for me.

Not really sure where I was going with this post, other than getting my thoughts out there. If you have any advice, I'd love to hear it. Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had the advice to give you! That has got to be really tough! A puppy is challenging at times... and he can't talk back! haha.
    Have you read "Parenting with Love and Logic"? I have heard (and not just from my mom haha) that it's a great book! That's actually the next book that I am going to read after I'm done with the 3 I'm reading now.
    I have to agree... I am like that too with discipline... I'm an all or nothing type person. I'm either on point with every thing all day long or I'm way off =D I *hate* trying to eat good/healthy all the time. It's such a struggle for me. I don't get why it's so hard!? You should just want everything that's good for you and nothing that's bad, right?! ha!

    ReplyDelete