Seven siblings... Seven blogs.... over Seven days...

Thursday, October 28, 2010

" But the children love the books!"...

Will Ferrell is on David Letterman, and that's my favorite quote from Elf (poor little nun)... so there you have it.

I actually am going to talk about Halloween, since it's this weekend. I read an interesting quote (and by "read", I mean, I totally stole it from someone who actually read the article...) from Christianity Today:

         "If we give up All Hallows Eve, we lose the delight of God's gift of imagination and we condemn the rest of society to a darker Halloween because our laughter will not be there to make the devil run."

Okay, so because I just couldn't put up a quote or link from an article I hadn't read (Just to be safe, ya know), I went back and read it. To give you a feel for it, here are a few more quotes that stuck out to me....:

" 'It's Satan's Holiday, Dr. Rearick [the author],' affirmed one of my students. 'Didn't you know?'
         Well, no, I didn't know. And I am reluctant to give up what was one of the highlights of my childhood calendar to the Great Impostor and Chief of Liars for no reason except that some of his servants claim it as his."


"For our pagan ancestors, the holidays that marked the great seasonal changes were often fearful, terrible, and dark. But with the coming of Christ came a great light that reclaimed not only individuals but also the holidays they celebrated. In the case of Midvinterblot and Yule, the holidays that once marked the terrible price required to provide light instead began to express the joyous arrival of God's true light."


(Here is a link to the entire article: http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2000/october2/29.79.html?start=1 )


I grew up in a family where we were allowed to put on fun, innocent costumes, and go trick-or-treating in the neighborhood where our mom grew up (ie. my parents knew the people in just about every house). Then we would go home, sort our candy, throw out the apples, etc. There was no spiritual discussion involved... it was just a fun day. Innocent and fun.


On the other hand, I went to a private school, where, I think it's safe to say, the majority of kids had been taught the view that Halloween was dangerous and evil. I still remember being so surprised in 2nd grade (my first year in private school) that we didn't even discuss Halloween, much less celebrate it with a *gasp* costume parade. In high school, the same view was taken towards sex, but that's another blog...


Anyways, I can honestly say this is the first article I have ever read by a professed Christian that actually "promoted" Halloween, and the boldness we can/should have as Christians. I liked it.


Sure, I realize, not everyone is going to see it this way, and people probably won't agree with me, but I like the idea of passing something that I enjoyed so much as a kid onto Noah (who, btw, is going as Thomas the Tank Engine this year... though he tells everyone he's going to be a tiger--which is actually what *Bryce* is going to be... kid gets confused, what can I tell ya? He is his mother's child, after all. And Chaney is going as a pink cat! As which she will be adorable :)). And I don't feel the need to add anything else to it... it can just be a fun night of innocence where he goes with his friends (and very attentive parents, mind you, who will responsibly analyze each of the 2 pieces of candy he will be allowed to eat Sat. night....lol. Actually, that's pretty much exactly what it's going to look like) up to the homes of strangers to ask them for food :)


So what do you think?...Halloween evil? Something that can be innocent fun?  Lemme know :)


Music of the day.... my guilty pleasure... Aerosmith. (Seriously, can anyone scream better than Steven Tyler?? Is anyone's MOUTH bigger!??!?!? no, actually, mine is not)


Goodnight, friends :)


PS. Just noticed the excessive use of parentheses.... (my apologies)

10 comments:

  1. I really like this blog, Ashley. That is so true. I think "Halloween" as "evil" is in the eye of the beholder. If that makes any since. I personally dont think so. To me its just a holiday where you get candy. Nothing more. And yes the sex thing is a whole other blog. lol.

    Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do you have to use () to post the link of websites into your blog? just wondering because me and Eric and tried and we couldnt get it done.

    As for halloween, when i have kids, there prolly wont be any discussions about it, but its something fun to do.
    Cant wait for the Private school blog, ive been waiting to write mine on whats taught and not taught

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can totally have that blog! lol. I think if I did it, it would be too easily misunderstood... since I actually did love Judah and its people and am grateful for the education...(but I can't understand how, as a whole, they can stick their head in the sand on so many issues.... among other things...but see? It's already started! lol)

    I didn't use paretheses for the link...I just copied and pasted. If you look at the top of the text box, there is a link button, too.

    Are you saying there won't be any discussions b/c you won't let your kids participate??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Halloween is not evil. End of story. The reason why I dressed up as a kid wasn't because I wanted to worship Satan. I wanted candy. 99.576% of the people who dress up for Halloween feel the same way.

    I agree with the comment about "I am reluctant to give up what was one of the highlights of my childhood calendar to the Great Impostor and Chief of Liars for no reason except that some of his servants claim it as his".

    That's well said and I agree whole-heartedly. Good discussion though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! Halloween was a blast as a kid! I LOVED getting all that candy and coming home and sorting and *trading* candy for the next hour... and sneaking to eat more than our allowed amount of candy for the night! HA! But I slept well that night!
    I remember in 7th grade, my first year in private school, watching a movie in class about Halloween and coming out of that class pretty disturbed! My whole life I had grown up believing and 'knowing' what Halloween was... only to have them tell me I was all wrong. The movie was connecting bonfires and Halloween and how bonfires actually rooted from bone fires (the burning of people on Halloween and how Halloween was actually Hell's Eve!) I wasn't sure what to think about all that! I actually felt bad for dressing up that year for Halloween... Then years later, after being at Judah, realized what I had at hand, and was able to resort back to the way I grew up and realize Halloween is NOT evil, not bad in any way (unless you make it a BONE fire event!) and that I will continue to love it, just as I did as a child!
    *IF* I ever have kids, I will for sure dress them up and go to parties and make orange popcorn balls and have a blast on Halloween!

    *p.s.- I also tried to post a link before and it wouldn't let me? What's up with that!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog, Ashley - I agree! (And I agree on Aerosmith as well!) (And I just used parantheses for ya too!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. No my kids will love halloween, im just saying i wont go into detail about it being satan's birthday and holiday etc.

    As for the judah blog, well i enjoyed my time there but as you have said their heads are in the sand on so many issues, like still complaining about me smoking cigars on the Sr. Trip but just this last trip kids were drinking???? really..wow what a shocker...ok off my soap box

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha thanks Christine!! Were they really Charlie?? I would have to say on that topic, it's kind of like Eric was saying in his blog--it's about the heart of the kids, which 99% of the time, I would blame the parents for the way they raised them (not saying that at some point, kids don't have to take responsibility for themselves, just sayin that it's a lot easier to say no to peer pressure and bad choices if you have a good foundation from home) So anyways.... off my own soap box now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah and ive been told there have been way more drinking since my trip, but it seems only me and my cigars remain the focus point

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wanted to make orange popcorn balls SO bad this year!!! But I figured people wouldn't let their kids have them, since they would have been homemade, and people are paranoid... so maybe next year when Noah is old enough to rot his teeth on them!!! haha :)

    ReplyDelete