Seven siblings... Seven blogs.... over Seven days...

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Censorship

Well this week was pretty lame overall. Nothing major happened. The World is still here and so are we. This is alittle late as its 12:18am and Eric's day but i havent gone to bed yet so to me its still Saturday.

The highlight of the week was the Texas Rangers beating the Yankees to advance to the World Series. I must say I am not only a fan of the Rangers, but of Josh Hamilton. He is a man of God who when messed up didnt run and hide. He manned up and took responsiblity for his actions. What kind of world would we live in if everyone did that? Just a thought.

The reason for the Title of this Blog is because once again there has been a double standard in the media. Juan Williams was unjustly fired this week for a comment that i am sure most Americans think, even if they dont say it. He said. " I mean, look, Bill , Im not a Bigot. You know the kind of books ive written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when i get onto a plane, I got to tell you , if i see people who are in Muslim garb and I think , you know, they are indentifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried, I get nervous."

I guess i dont get what the big deal is? Maybe i am naive. Since when have we become such a PC nation that we can no longer give our opinions, mind you on a federally funded network, and our job not be safe? Why are we so scared to offend everyone? So instead of speaking our minds, we are worried if we will get fired or thought less of because of what we think. Im so tired of this double standard. Its ok to take the lord's name in Vain and nothing is done, im sure it goes on everywhere but we, Juan makes a statement about how he feels and he gets fired? Someone please explain this to me. Also after his Firing the CEO of NPR said that what williams thinks should be between him and his psychiatrist or publicist. She wasnt fired and that was a personal attack. Nice, Also there was another person spoke out in 1995. In 1995 Nina Totenberg said that if there was "retributive justice" , former Republician North Carolina Sen. Jesse Helms or one of his grandchildren will get AIDS from an transfusion. Once again a double standard and all the NPR could say was that Nina has appologized many times for that comment. Guess Juan didnt get the chance to apologize uh? Oh well he now has signed a 2 million dollar contract with Fow News.

Lastly i would like to know where the NAACP, Jesse Jackson, ACLU, Al Sharpton are? Anyone seen them lately? I mean here is a black man who has been fired w/o cause and yet you have nothing to say? Nice, guess you only pick and choose who's side you come to defend. Just like Jesse coming to Decatur IL when 6 black students were kicked out of school for fighting. He showed up and wow they got back into school and within 3 months, 4 of the 6 were locked back up and what exactly did you accomplish Jesse? Yet you dont come to the defense to the illegal firing of a Black man who was respected by both Conservatives and Liberals? WTG .

Im sure i have created a firestorm here and Good, maybe we will get some replies on this topic and maybe not. But thats my opinion and i will talk to you all next week

1 comment:

  1. Hmm.... I think this topic could and will be a continuing argument for years to come. Things will never be fair.. As my momma always told me "life isn't fair!!" (eww mom, that use to make me sooo mad!!!! haha). I agree that we have really come far from living in comfort to be able to speak our minds. Me on the other hand, I will speak my mind to anyone, the rest of my life (with love of course). I really feel for Juan Williams and also have a great respect for him for speaking his mind! I too get kinda creeped out when someone walks up to/by me and ALL you can see are their eyes!!! I understand religion/beliefs but I mean, really? If you chose to dress/carry yourself that way, then you are choosing to stand out and have comments made about you! Just my thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete