Seven siblings... Seven blogs.... over Seven days...

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Keep Thy Tongue From Evil!

What are your thoughts on the N-word and other slurs? Better yet what are God's thoughts on slurs. I am not going to take a historical look at slurs or there "alternative" uses in the American pop-culture scene. What I am going to do is speak from my heart. I am going to make myself vulnerable, because this is an issue that has bruised my heart more than once. May I speak not out of bitterness, but out of love and an earnestness for the truth to be made known. I love you Jesus, my Lord. 

I quite recently had an emotional experience with the N-word. This was not the first time I have left crying after I futilely tried to keep my wits about me all the while make the case against the N-word. You may ask why I would be so emotional about a collection of letters. A fair question, I think. Well I don't hate the N-word as much as I hate what surrounds it: hate, ignorance, and arrogance, to name a few.

The hate component comes from white on black only but rather is color blind to some extent. Lest you think I am being politically correct, you should know that the few times I have been called a n***** have been by black people. The people who use those words are sometimes ignorant about the vile and abusive histories they stem from. The arrogance, often coupled with insensitivity, says that I can use these words at my liking no matter the company or the sensitivities of those around me. White people in particular have been bullied into silence about the issues of racial slurs, especially the N-word. Well I say speak out! As Christians we have the right and the duty to make Christ's voice heard on these issues!

We should not stop with slurs only, rather we, myself included, should get rid of all comments that hurt others . Let's pray for each other as we try to keep our tongues from evil this week.

Proverbs 16:24Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.

1 comment:

  1. You are such a preacher, kid :) And I mean that as the highest compliment. On a side note, have you finished the book yet?? Do you get why I feel the way I do about it?? Steal Mom's phone and text me soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete