Seven siblings... Seven blogs.... over Seven days...

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Video Game Frustration

I am not a video game developer. Nor do I know anyone who is. However, I am totally convinced that every video game has a "you're doomed" mode.

Let me try to explain the "You're Doomed" mode in not so flattering terms. It's when you're playing the game, and the computer decides to perform an action so inconceivable . . . so improbable. . . so impossible. . . it can only happen in a video game.

The following examples are real. And have left me so disgusted, I've wanted to throw my controller through the window.

Soccer -- tonight -- It's a 1-1 tie. Very competitive. 3 minutes to go in the game and the computer decides to take a shot from about 35 yards from the goal line. . . falling away from the net. The guy buries it in the top corner while my goalie just stands there and watches it. "You're Doomed"

Football -- maybe 2 months ago -- yes, I remember a video game that I played two months ago in perfect detail. Why? "You're Doomed" mode. Anyhow, I've somehow taken #3 UCLA into triple overtime, and then held them to a field goal. All I need to do is score a touchdown and I win. I lean over to Ashley (who fully comprehends "You're Doomed" mode) and say "I bet I throw an interception on this play". Sure enough, ball gets tipped at the line by a 5'11" 305 lb. defensive lineman, who somehow just jumped 9 feet into the air, right into the arms of a linebacker. . . a linebacker who is so out of position, you would have had to think the game had FROZEN. . but oh no. He makes the interception and I lose. Literally made me get up out of my seat and walk away.

So, to all you video game developers out there, thanks. Thanks for ruining many an evening. And if I ever meet you in person, on the street. . . "You're Doomed".

Have a great week!

5 comments:

  1. LOL...well, if you think about it, I would guess most video game developers aren't too fond of athletes....so maybe it's their subtle way of revenge....and I prefer to call it the "You're screwed" mode, myself :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha!!! I would get sooo mad!!!! I have felt your pain before!! I kinda like "you're screwed" also! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes you just shake your head and chalk it up to "You're Screwed" mode. Happens all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, yah "sigh" and who said video games are for fun anyway! ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah ive had plenty of these types of games, or being shot atcross the map of COD by a machine gun pistol....its never ending and i think its cause the the Game developers at some time had wished they could had been the superstar instead of the geek. Oh well, i know it wont change which games ill buy, ill just suffer with the "Your Doomed" scenes during a game lol

    ReplyDelete