Seven siblings... Seven blogs.... over Seven days...

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Living in an alternate reality

Avatar was quite possibly the most successful movie ever. It blasted box office records. It was the trigger for a whole wave of 3D movies, tv shows (sports in 3D) and even video games. In a word, it transferred your imagination to an alternate reality.

I have the same outlet into an alternate reality in a few ways. Both are, of course, related to sports.

I am actively involved in fantasy football. And by actively involved, I mean, I take a look at matchups weekly and decide which of my REAL players I want to put into my lineup. Usually, a monkey could make better decision on who to start than I do. I just seem to have a sense of Fantasy Football karma that ruins people's performance. Best example is the league that I have with people I work with. It's not all that competitive, but we bust each other every week over the results. This year I'm 0-6. That's right, my team is awful. Not only that, but every other team has at least 2 wins. I'm Detroit Lions bad. My #1, and #2 picks have been hurt all year and my #3 pick was demoted to 2nd string.

My other venture into an alternate reality is through whatifsports.com. This is a sports simulation website where people get into simulated "worlds" with imaginary college basketball players, and then recruit players to come to their school, set lineups, and interact with other nerds like myself. Ashley and I call it my "Avatar World". It's a pay site, and I have 2 teams. One of my teams is in the National Championship game tonight. It's kind of the most exciting fake thing to ever happen to me.

I've shown you this nerdy side of me for one reason only, to prove to you that there is an Avatar out there for everyone. Even if you don't need 3D glasses to truly enjoy the experience.

Have a great week everyone! Oh yea, and GO HAVERFORD! (my team in the championship tonight)

6 comments:

  1. Haverford... aka... Dave's Mistress! haha j/k I will be cheering for them in my dreams tonight!! (since the games are "played" at like 1-2am) :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well we need some team pics lol and well im 1-6 in our league

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Haverford was blown out in the championship, so the search for an elusive 1st title will need to wait

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, this is great! As I was reading this I thought I would tell Mitch about that site... then I thought twice =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should probably think 6 or 7 times before you do that, Gig... Actually, I have to admit it *really* doesn't take much time... esp. b/c all of the games are simulated overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only time consuming part is recruiting players. During the actual season, it takes up about 5 minutes a day. I enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete